The biggest island of the Princes’ Islands in İstanbul, Büyükada is worth a visit with its historical mansions and unique view. The island can be reached by boats and fast ferries departing from different İstanbul ports.
Here is our Top 5 list for Büyükada:
1. Most probably, the first thing after you land on the island will be the bikes for rent. Renting a bike is a great way to enjoy your island tour.
2. Visiting Hagios Giorgios Monastery is a must. The monastery is located on the highest point in the island and it was built in 1751. The church, on the other hand, was built in 1905 and opened for service in 1909. Every year on 23 April and 24 September, crowds of people climb up the hills of the island to reach the church since there is a belief that your prayer will become real if you pray on these days.
3. Adalar Museum is considered the first contemporary city museum in İstanbul and it is possible to witness the story of the islands from their formation until today. Hundreds of objects, thousands of documents, six thousand photographs, hundreds of documentary recordings, films and oral history records enable the visitor to have a trip in the history of the islands.
4. If you visit Büyükada in the summer, you can enjoy the beaches of the islands to swim and sunbathe. Halik Bay Beach, Hagia Nikola Beach and Princess Bay Beach are some of the most popular beaches on the island.
5. One other must for Büyükada is to eat an ice-cream from the famous gelato ice cream sellers. Especially those in the center of the island will catch your eye with their colorful stalls.