The Büyük Çamlıca Korusu spreads out over 163,181 square meters in the district of Üsküdar. It takes its name from the hill it is situated upon which is the larger of the two hills found between Üsküdar and Ümraniye. It has a number of highly prized, potable springs and the grove is home to two protected pine species, kızılçam or Turkish Pine (pinus brutia) and fıstıkçam or Stone Pine (pinus pinea). The ever-popular grove has been the subject of many pieces of Turkish literature and songs and is a favourite recreational area.
In 1940 it was symbollically nationalized by Dr. Lütfi Kırdar who was then serving as governor of Istanbul.
Today the grounds also have a children’s playground and a sports field.