A century old history of Hacı Abdullah Restaurant is the continuance of “Ahi Community”. Generally the history of such deep rooted establishments witnesses management passing from father to son or management passing into other hands by being acquired by other companies. But for Hacı Abdullah Restaurant, neither is true.
The journey of Hacı Abdullah that began in 1888 had continued by the restaurant being passed from the master to the apprentice.
In the last periods of the Ottoman Empire, a restaurant named “Abdullah Efendi” was opened in the “Karaköy Pier”. The business license of this restaurant is personally given by “Sultan Abdülhamid II”. Official and private groups that visit Istanbul on behalf of their countries were welcomed in “Abdullah Efendi”. And in 1915, “Abdullah Efendi Restaurant” was carried from “Karaköy Pier” to “Beyoğlu”. And the restaurant continues its service in the ground floor of “Rumeli Han” located on “Istiklal Street”.
Throughout this period, “Abdullah Efendi” was again passed from the master to the apprentice. Back in 1940, after welcoming many foreign and local guests in its place in “Rumeli Han” for 25 years, again as a result of ”Master—Apprentice” style change of management “Abdullah Efendi” was moved to street that the heart of Turkish cinema beats, “Bursa Street” and “Ahududu Street” with its old name and “Sadri Alışık Street” with its new name. And it takes the name “Hacı Salih”. In the restaurant that offers all the characteristics of Ottoman-Turkish Cuisine without compromising from quality under the name of both “Abdullah Efendi” and “Hacı Salih” moved to its current location in 1958, to “Sakızağacı Street” near “Ağa Mosque”.
Hacı Abdullah is famous for slow-stewed dishes of the Ottoman and Turkish cuisine. The restaurant is highly popular both among Turkish people and foreign guests. The menu changes according to the season.