Ayasofya Hürrem Sultan Hamam, also known as The Haseki Hamam, was built in 1556 by the wife of Süleyman the Great, Hürrem Sultan, under the direction of the imperial architect Sinan. As one of the most impressive hamams in Istanbul, it was built over the ruins of the Zeuksippos Baths.
Built right across from the Hagia Sophia, in the classical Ottoman style, at a total length of 75 meters, it has facilities for both men and women. It was used actively until 1910, when it was closed and was used for some time as a storehouse. After restoration work in the 1950’s, it was turned into a carpet shop.
In 2011, after a 13 million dollar investment and three years of meticulous restoration work, it reopened as a hamam. Today it is one of the most luxurious traditional Turkish hamams, and also the site of an open-air cafe and restaurant.