Kadir Has University’s main building which was converted from Cibali Tobacco and Cigarette Factory by Kadir Has Foundation in 2002 has been granted the European Nostra Award in 2003 due to its extremely meticulous and comprehensive restoration and its contributions to the historical environment in which it is situated. The venue opened to the public as Rezan Has Museum when the ruins of a “hammam” dating back to the Ottoman era and a Byzantine cistern found underneath this historical building following the completion of its restoration
Hosting genuine exhibitions and cultural activities since 2007 in the frame of its vigorous museum studies, Rezan Has Museum has become a museum site connecting the past to the future with its Ottoman structure dated back to 17th century and Byzantine cistern to 11th century. The Museum enriched its collection by acquiring documents and objects belonging to Cibali Tobacco and Cigarette Factory in 2009 along with its collection of archeological artifacts with nearly a history of 9,000 years.
The cisterns, water reservoirs made of stone, were structures which played an important role in meeting water requirements of Istanbul in Byzantine period. The Byzantine period cistern taking place in our museum and dated back to late 11th century is comprised of 48 arches, 15 pillars and 20 columns. This structure having a square-like rectangular plan was built directly to accumulate water. After losing its function as a cistern, it was first used as the tobacco warehouse of Cibali Tobacco and Cigarette Factory and then as a supply warehouse during the 2nd World War. The marble platform and steam channels of the hammam structure, on the other hand, are still in good condition.
Rezan Has Museum is comprised of two sections. Our wide collection of archeological artifacts from Neolithic Period to Seljuk Empire is exhibited on the museum floor while thematic and original exhibitions, including exhibitions on especially the Turkish Painting Art, are located in our multi-purpose exhibition hall.
Cibali Tobacco Factory
Cibali Tobacco and Cigarette Factory, which was built by Architect Alexandre Vallaury in 1884 as one of the first architectural structures of our industrial history belonged to the Registration Administration founded by foreign capital authorities in lieu of Ottoman Empire’s debts until 1925. Following 1925, it was brought to the service of Turkish Republic. Involved in the industry as the most important cigarette factory of the Republican Period up until the establishment of Istanbul Cigarette Factory in 1967, Cibali Tobacco and Cigarette Factory continued its cigarette production until 1995.
Witnessing the industrial, economic, political and socio-cultural historical activities of the Turkish Republic, the artifacts taking place in this structure cover a very large profile of items from old tobacco and cigarette machines to a large variety of office and workshop materials, and from tobacco samples belonging to various regions of the country to photograph albums reflecting both the employees and the life within the factory.