The Unkapanı or Atatürk Bridge (Unkapanı Atatürk Köprüsü) connects the historical peninsula with Beyoğlu, via the districts of Unkapanı and Azapkapı.
The history of bridge building on the site goes back to 1836, during the reign of Mahmut II. At the time the bridge was built entirely out of wood and it was designed to open in the middle so as not to inhibit ship traffic in and out of the Golden Horn.
In 1875 the wooden bridge was replaced by a metal one and this bridge remained in use until 1912. Today’s Atatürk Bridge has been in use since 1936 and like the first bridge was built out of wood. The bridge is a continuation of Atatürk Bulvarı, which begins in the Aksaray district and runs until Unkapanı.