The Church of St Stephen of the Bulgars (Turkish: Sveti Stefan Kilisesi), commonly referred to as the “Iron Church”, is located on the shores of the Golden Horn. It was built in 1871 using only prefabricated iron pieces. Known in particular for its Gothic architecture, it was constructed from poured iron slabs that had been brought from Vienna on cargo ships and were put together on site. Its interior decoration and mosaic glass are eye-catching.
The church is currently being restored.