Meryem Ana Rum Ortodoks Kilisesi (Church of St. Mary of the Mongols)

The Church of St. Mary of the Mongols (Turkish: Meryem Ana Rum Ortodoks Kilisesi), also known as the bloody church, was built in 1281 by Maria Despina, the wife of the Mongol ruler Abak Khan on the site of an old monastery.

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars
7 votes
Loading ... Loading ...
Address

Balat Mah. Tevfiki Cafer Mahallesi Firketeci sokak no:5 , Fener

The Church of St. Mary of the Mongols (Turkish: Meryem Ana Rum Ortodoks Kilisesi), also known as the “bloody” church, was built in 1281 by Maria Despina, the wife of the Mongol ruler Abak Khan on the site of an old monastery.

It was one of the few churches not converted into a mosque after the conquest of Istanbul. Today it belongs to the Greek Orthodox Church and is generally open to visitors on weekends.

See full map
Biletixheader
Ferrybg
Bosphorus Ferry Schedules
Buying Selling
USD
EURO