Located on the grounds of Yıldız Palace, the Şale Köşk comes from the French word “chalet.” The structure is striking example of 19th century Ottoman architecture. Situated in a garden, it is surrounded by high walls and made up of three adjacent structures, each built at a different time. The first building was erected in 1880.
In 1889 Sarkis Balyan expanded the building and in the same year a third section with the name of the Merasim Kösk was added by the Italian architect D’Aranco.
The last two sections were added in order to increase the space before a visit by German Emperor Wilhelm II, as the Şale Kösk was designed to serve as the guest-house within the Yıldız Palace.
Among the most eye-catching sections of the kösk is the Ceremonial Hall, where there is a wall to wall handmade Hereke carpet and gilded golden panels decorating the ceiling.