The Turkish and Islamic Arts Museum (Turkish: Türk İslam Eserleri Müzesi) was the first Turkish museum to include both Islamic and Turkish art together. The story of its founding begins in the 19th Century. The Evkaf-ı İslâmiye Museum (or Museum of Islamic Pious Foundations) as it was then called, had the distinction of being the last museum founded during the Ottoman period when it opened 1914. The museum was housed at the time in a former alms-house in the Süleymaniye Mosque Complex, one of the most important works of the architect Sinan. After the proclamation of the Republic, the museum took its current name, and in 1983 moved to Sultanahmet where it is now housed in the 16th-century İbrahim Paşa Palace.
The museum has a rich collection from the Ottoman period, including many imperial fermans, charters, and endowments. The museum’s carpet collection, at around 1,700 pieces, is also well worth seeing.