The Çardaklı Hamam, located between Kadirga and Sultanahmet, was built in 1503. After two restorations the hamam was run as a private enterprise in 1918, and in the 1940’s it was used as a warehouse and a workshop.
Also known as the “Small Hagia Sofia Hamam” (Turkish: Küçük Ayasofya Hamamı) the original front entrance was covered with stone and a second entrance was from the side of the building. From here one passes under glass domes and into a comforting and fervid heat. Built in the tradition of the Ottoman hamam, it also incorporates many relics and pieces leftover from the Byzantine era into its structure.